A lot of times we are either living in the past or zooming into the future. Our thoughts are always racing from the past to the future , pausing only for a fraction of a second at the Present moment.
The result is that we do not really live/enjoy the present moments, and are either repenting about the past or anxious about the future.
I came across this simple and very effective tip that can instantly bring a person to the present moment. No , it is not about Meditation 🙂
Very simple to practice.
- Catch the moment when you are not in the present moment and become aware of your thoughts.
- Start watching your breath. Observe your Inhalation and exhalation for a few times
- Feel the object that you are touching/ holding right now. Is it soft / hard /rough ?
- Feel the chair/bed that you are sitting on. Is it soft / hard / rough ?
- Listen to the noises around you. The sound of the fan/AC , the clock ticking, the birds chirping , people talking , music . Listen for a while .
- Become aware of the pressure points in your body from top to bottom. Start from the head, neck , shoulders , chest , stomach, hips, knees and feet. Consciously release the pressure before moving from one point to another
Do the above whenever you notice that your thoughts are drifting.
Practice even while you’re walking or lying down.
Hope this helps you 🙂