My experiments with some of the exotic vegetables, that are not usually grown in India, continues.
I had ordered Leeks via Bigbasket.com . Leeks are not grown commercially in India. The temperature here is too high for them to sustain.
These plants belong to the Onion and Garlic family. They don’t have a bulb but their shoots are very much similar to Onion and Garlic but much more thicker. The have a mild oniony smell and taste.
The white part of Leeks are tender and can be used for cooking. The lower light green part of the leeks can also be used if they are tender.
This part can be chopped into various sizes as per your choice.
Time to prepare another variation of stir fired veggies using Leeks , Red Bell peppers and Brussels sprouts.
Recipe : ( serves two)
Leeks – 100 gm
Red Bell Pepper – 1
Brussels Sprouts – 100 gm
Salt and Pepper as per your taste
Lemon Juice – one tsp ( or Balsamic Vinegar – 1 or 2 tsp)
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
garlic – 3-4 pods
1. Chop one Red bell pepper into one inch size pieces . Cut Brussels sprouts into half or quarter them if they are very big.
Cut Leeks into one inch size pieces.
2. Boil all of them in water to which salt (1/4 tsp) is added , for a couple of minutes.
3. Strain and keep aside.
4. Add 2 tsp of olive oil into a pan and add the veggies.
5. Add salt and pepper as per your taste and stir once in a while for 5-6 minutes or more, until they caramelize.
6. Add chopped garlic and stir for a minute.
7. Switch off the stove and add lemon juice or Balsamic vinegar and serve.
You can replace Leeks with Onions by cutting them into one inch size pieces.
You can also replace red bell pepper with yellow or green peppers but Red ones would make the dish colorful and appetizing.
February 19, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Health and taste, go hand in hand. Nice!
February 19, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Exactly ! Thanks !